13 Nov 2010

Music!

I find it quite interesting that the sort of music you listen to establishes a certain social status. Metal-head, pop-princess, underground-indie, cultural-queen, the ones that just have bad taste in music and all the other ones. I am sure I've gone through all of these phases. For those who don't remember the sixteen year old me I was the one listening to more hard-core metal than all the boys and going to metal concerts every weekend. Going from there to the other extreme, being not only a pop-queen but a out and proud Britney fan, reaching my high-point seeing her life in Berlin the summer before last. Since I moved to London though I got pushed to the deep end of the indie pool where I'm still happily paddling through.

I've always been a firm believer though that the music I like is currently the best music in the world. The people that I share it with, whether it's playing my party playlist at a party, blasting my music in my flat when cleaning or those other five people, that probably overhear my iPod, since we are sharing the same square feet on public transport. I am always as shocked when people replace my amazing playlist at a party with the latest Rihanna song, my other flatmates play music that's just bizarre (don't get me started on previous flatmates' taste in music!) and I overhear someone's iPod and it's just dull and boring. It's not that I don't appreciate that people like different things and all that, I'm just genuinely surprised every single time. Maybe I'm just super cocky.

Then we all have "the-friend-that-shares-your-taste-in-music-friend" and neither of you truly admits to what you currently like as you have to impress each other with a band the other one hasn't heard of yet. If you are good friends then you go on and share your guilty pleasures afterwards though. Around festivals like Iceland Airwaves this type of relationship dominates every conversation. Every one is proving that they sure have been listening to the-band-that-no-one-has-heard-of for months.

I think there is one more music-relationship you can have with a person. Here, being around each other is not necessary. It is the type of person that you secretly look up to and think is super cool. You know what music they like. You find yourself listening to their music to see if you magically become cool overnight.

Anyway, I just find it interesting. I'm curious if anyone agrees with me on this.

Currently I have found myself listening to the music my parents used to listen to when I was around six years old. Maybe it is because recently someone just told me to go home, as in back to Iceland (racism much?), and I secretly wish that I could, so I capture my childhood memories and try reliving those long gone moments. But honestly, I just had my iTunes on shuffle and I was suddenly listening to Adeins Eina Nott of the CD, Megasarlog. The last time I listened to Megasarlog was in my mom's first car after my parents' divorce. We were only the two of us, and I would always ask if we could listen to song number three, which is the aforementioned song. Then I found Gling-Glo which is the CD my dad used to play around the same time.

Things that I liked at that age was a bit bizarre. I had a Christmas CD I played for about eight months per year, plus the undying genius that Bugsy Malone is:

No comments: