6 May 2012

Can you please stop lying to me?

I am so tired of being treated like an idiot by advertisers, magazines and the media in general. There is about a hundred different types, how ever there are two that really stand out for me. 

Diets 
'Get a flat tummy in 5 weeks', 'Lose a stone in 2 weeks by using this weird trick' and the five hundred gzillion articles along those lines. No. No, no, no. This is not true. 
There is one way to get fit, losing weight or what ever it is that you are after, and it is eating less than you work out. That is it. That is the secret. Cake has a lot of calories and carrots have not so many calories. Try to eat fruit & veg. Go for a run. Replace sodas for water.
That is it. So if you are somewhere writing all of these articles, or advertising this. Please stop. 
There are two possible responses here. Some poor soul that actually believes you, that you are lying to. Which is mean and you should stop it. Or people that have more than half a braincell and do not want to be talked to like they are idiots.

Cash loans & lawyer services
This is a way bigger issue, that is extremely boring and requires a detailed interest in contract law. Basically anyone who advertises on TV how much they want to help you is lying to you. Cash loans or pay day loans or what ever they are called are potentially the worst thing you could possibly do. Ever. Those lawyers that want to help you get PPI or what ever, do so because you have to pay them a lot of money to do that for you. Speak to your bank and they will help you directly. Giving you back the money, they mis-sold to you, which is another example of people lying to you. (I am very much on purpose avoiding the whole IceSave and the bank crash and all of that, very much on purpose)
Here is a rule of thumb. If someone is talking to you, about your money, and it sounds pretty good, you are probably being lied to. 

The thing that really frightens me, is as annoying I find being talked to like a dummy, there must be not just this one, stupid someone that believes all of this, but an army of people who are buying in to this bu**shit. An army of people.
To be fair I am a big believer in the 'stupid tax'. That is if you are stupid, you will end up paying more on stupid stuff, because you are not thinking straight. I am guilty of paying the stupid tax on numerous occasions. Like buying into what ever some sales people try to sell me. I think to myself once I've spent a fortune on things I don't need, I did not need that. Now I have to pay for not thinking straight. I have paid the stupid tax, and you know what? I deserved to. 

Regardless of the stupid tax, which I think is very important. I do not think anyone should make their living, by relying on stupid people believing the LIES they tell. LIES that are told not only to the army of stupid people, but to society as a whole, every single day. That's the trick. The every, single day bit. Because if you hear or see something often enough, you will start believing it. True story. 

NO, IT IS NOT. No one wants to give you 50% interest on your £300 savings. They want you to pay £3 pounds a month for two years for providing you with 'this amazing web of lies they have created'. And if you are a big person, there is no trick or anything you can do to make you slim down while sitting in front of the TV all day, eating. Stop eating like a pig and go work out, if you want to lose weight. If you don't, then keep doing what you are doing.

Ok. I just needed it out there. More angry blog posts. That's what I do. Amen. Thank you for listening. If you want more angry blogposts, this guy hit the nail on the head about piracy. He was so spot on, I see no point in making any further comments about it.


****FIXED****
I can't believe I forgot this one. Because this one makes my blood boil.
Airlines
Don't tell me the flight is going to cost £20, when you and I both know I will end up paying £200. Just do not do that. That is incredibly dishonest.
Ticket = £200
£20 ticket + £20 pick your seat + £20 luggage + £20 using the airport + £20 breathing + ... = £200
See, I would much rather just pay upfront £200. Because it is HONEST.

It is a little bit annoying how restaurants have picked up on this too. You buy a main at the same price as anywhere else, but oh, what is this? It comes on its own. Now you have to buy sauce, chips, veggies and doubling the price.

You big important business people out there. I know I am asking a lot, but can you please stop lying to me?

No comments: