12 Oct 2010

yo bro!

Hey guys!

Missed me yet? I know you did.

You know how a couple of days ago the date was the 10/10/10. At that particular day, I wish I could say it would have been at ten past ten in the morning but it was actually 11.11, I had an epiphany. Silly thing, huh?

A bit of introduction: Even though I've got an academic background in science, I'm a bit superstitious about weird things. Maybe it has to do with my nationality (we've got elves and stuff back home). One of them is that if I check the time and it's 11.11 I can make a wish. It has to be in the morning (back home we don't do am and pm -we can do the math, so 11.11 pm would translate to 23.11) though.

So, we have a time of epiphany; 11.11, 10/10/10. Anyway, I was about to make a wish as I'd do under general circumstances. Usually I've got no shortage of wishes what so ever. At that point though I genuinely could not think of anything I'd like to wish for. Can you imagine how lucky I am? Isn't that the absolute wish after all? To not have any wishes. I guess, bottom line, life's pretty solid at the moment. Hopefully it'll last like that for a fair bit.

An entire change of topic:
Today, I did volunteer work at an event as a part of my uni program. It was great in every sense - I'm not going to go into any details though. What I found interesting though is that after lunch there were debates. Lots of fair arguments there definitely. But, and this is the big but, what amazed me was some of the artists (notice, some! definitely not all) perspective of things.
Note, I'm not in any way demeaning the importance or greatness or what ever about art. I'm not an artist though so maybe I'm just ignorant.

What amazed me though was that some of them, were bitching about the arts council, not enough funds, not enough audience etc.. Why that caught my attention was that, if you can produce something from within yourself that gives you pleasure that is a gift. A gift that ought to be treasured. If you can actually get someone else to like your work that's fascinating and a huge bonus. If you actually can make a living of it, that should never ever be taken for granted.

Art goes pretty much as far way back as anyone knows. Still I'm pretty sure back in them old days the guys then were a bit more concerned about surviving than anything else. So the privilege modern artists live with, were governments actually pay you money to do some drawings or dance or what ever you like literally should blow your mind every single time.

Anyway, enough of that, this guy here sums it up pretty clearly
"how quickly the world owes you something...":


Well, those were a couple of thoughts from me today.
Hope all is well,
Hrefna Helgadóttir

No comments: